Thursday, December 10, 2009

Birth Pictures

So I got up the nerve last night to look at the whole roll of pictures that were taken during my labor. My friend Kim was on picture duty during our birth and she did a beautiful job! It was interesting to see the process unfolding in pictures because some of the more painful memories of my labor are starting to fade (thank goodness). So I hope you'll indulge me as I share some of the photos with you, don't worry I edited out the ones that only Joel and I get to see!
Pardon the bored look on Joel's face, there wasn't many active things for him to do in labor except for support me. That support was HUGE for me, I didn't even want Joel to leave to go to the bathroom.Eli's heartbeat is being checked by Britt in the picture. They check the heartbeat about every 5-10 minutes in active labor. I was beginning to feel the urge to push and was trying to get the strength to do it.In order to push more effectively, they had me get out of the tub and onto the toilet (hey, it's a natural place to push!)For the actual birth, I was on my hands and knees. We were all lined up in our bathroom ready to bring Eli into the world.After Eli came out, I quickly wanted to get into bed. I was cold (because of all the hormones) and just wanted to lay down. It was great to be able to rest immediately in our bed and to be with the people I love. I don't regret or wish that I had given birth anywhere else than besides my own home. I realize this in not a choice that all people agree with or feel that they could make but I just know it's was right for us. (Though I did have a few moments where I was like "Where's my epidural?")

No comments:

Post a Comment