Sunday, November 8, 2009

Handing in My Man Card

Due to recent circumstances I may have to turn in my "Man Card". I admit I have been wearing our Moby wrap (see pictures from an earlier post) to carry Eli on a regular basis for the past month. It's black, but is by no means manly. Sometimes I feel like less of a man wearing it and get comments like, "Ohhhh, you have him in your little papoose ". Really a papoose, I don't remember seeing any pictures of Native American men with papoose's, but they didn't have to navigate Woodman's with a three week old. I've found my feelings of lost manhood are counteracted by what I am able to accomplish with a child on me. I think to myself as I walk through the grocery story looking at other shoppers, "are you grocery shopping with a child attached to you". I can bend down to the bottom shelf to get a box of Life, I can leave my cart behind since Eli's with me, I can glaze windows, and best of all I'm not lugging around a big clunky car seat. They're heavy and awkward. I've also found with Eli in the wrap it surprises people. The public can see a car seat coming a mile away and assumes there's a baby in it. With him on me and a sweatshirt on they don't notice until I walk by and then when they see his head sticking out little girls nudge their moms and say things like "mommy look" and point at me while I'm five feet away as though I have a goiter sticking out of my neck. I have been sold on using the wrap, manly or not it quiets Eli down and allows me to carry on with normal activities outside of holding him. On the man front, yesterday I found out we have a pair of Carhart overalls for Eli when he's a little older. I think this may make up for my use of the wrap, and it will protect his legs from chain-saws.

side note: If you google Papoose most of the hits are a gansta rapper, nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment