Saturday, October 24, 2009

Daddy Observations

Since Eli arrived I've noticed a few things.

"The Look" - no matter what I'm doing or where I go people look at me differently. Let me rephrase, they look in my general direction while completely focused on Eli. They often let out little "ahh's" or just get a little smile as tilt their head to the side. Sometimes the thought runs through my mind they should come over at 4 in the morning when he's crying and you have to get up in an couple hours and see if they're still smiling then. People also open doors for you, randomly come and talk to you, ask what his name is, whether he's a boy or girl, etc. The power of a newborn.

"Responsibility" - i've been amazed at how much of an urge I feel to get things done as soon as I wake up or get home from work. I wouldn't say I was messy before Eli came but I tended to put things off or leave them until "tomorrow". Now I have a sense of responsibility that I need to pitch in so mom and baby are taken care of. I empty trash more, clean up messes, wash diapers, empty the dishwasher, etc. Thankfully because of my upbringing this, not fear, is my response to having a little one.

"When Newborn cease being cute" - it's really difficult to like Eli when he's awake and fussing or just making lots of noise at night. Half the time he's fine sleeping on his own the other half he wants to be held and lets it be known. Then he wakes up every couple of hours (note: I can't complain much since I don't actually spend 45min-60min feeding him) to feed. It's at these times I don't thing he's all that cute. A full uninterrupted night of sleep would be amazing (sigh).

"Fire Hydrant" - little boys do pee everywhere. As soon as the diaper comes off the flood gates are thrown open. At one point his "equipment" was point at his head and he watered his stomach, chest and even got the back of his head. People that buy cloth covers for their changing pad either likes doing laundry or hasn't had a boy.

"The Rudder" - like the small rudder that steers a larger boat Eli directs much of our lives at this point (ref. James). We can still leave the house, visit with friends, go for dinner or coffee but have to take his feeding and fussing into account, which isn't an exact science at this point. There's also so much equipment to bring along: carseat, diaper bag, blankets, a wrap, stroller, etc. It's amazing how much Eli, an 8lb person, affects what we do.

"Man Time" - I like helping Eli participate in man activities. I let him hold my machete, watch me cut down a tree, come to the hardware store, and I even successfully glazed a window while wearing him. It's great to have a buddy to do manly stuff with.

No comments:

Post a Comment